Thursday, July 3, 2008

Results from bronch

Daniel had a bronch yesterday and it showed that their is more compression on the right main stem of the lung. The pulmonary artery looks to be what is causing the compression. A CT scan was done yesterday to see if they could have a better look. I have not yet heard the results from that. I asked what can be done to help, specificly if a stint could be placed. A stint cannot be placed. A trach would not help because the problem is too far down. Surgery could help but this is not a common problem therefore not a common surgery. All of the doctors and surgons are still discussing the best plan of action. No decisoins will be made until the CT scan has been reviewed. While the bronch was being done, they noticed that his tonsils were very large. Tonsils are there to catch bacteria so he will most likely have his tonsils taken out. It could possibly be the root of the fevers even though they do not look infected. The ET tube had been rubbing in his throat so they placed it in his nose. I cannot immagine how terrible it must feel. It is the best place to prevent damage from the tube. I will let everyone know what happens next...

2 comments:

Maggie said...

We are sorry to hear about the pulmonary artery causing compression on the right main stem bronchi, but we are still glad to hear that they are not discussing a trach as a solution (as they are a source of infection, too). Sorry to hear Daniel sounds like he will have a tonsilectomy, but at least if they do this while he is young, he won't have to go through it when he is older and more likely to remember this kind of surgery. (Here's one more time you can take advantage of tube feedings.)

I can't even imagine how uncomfortable an NG/NJ tube would be much less an ET tube down your nose! Poor Daniel!!!

How are you all holding up through all of this??? I hope you at least get to sleep next to Daniel's bedside (inbetween all the nurses coming in to do assesments, feeds, and IV pumps and moniors beeping!) Our hearts and prayers go out to all of you!

May our prayers be answered soon so you all can go home and be together real soon.

Love always,

Maggie Boyce

Anonymous said...

I am sorry to hear about everything that Daniel is going through. It would be helpful to know why Daniel keeps getting these fevers. Anna has large tonsils as well. If there is anything I can do, please don't hesitate to give me a call. My phone number is 574-4304. I was looking for you when we were in the house on Thurs., Because I thought I saw you (from your pictures on the carepage) in the corridor at the hospital on Wed.
I hope everything starts looking up soon. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

Bev and Anna Luken